It started in 1800

The were 7 mills at the Ozeljanšček brook. The only mill which is almost entirely preserved, is located in the center of the village (Ozeljan 51), owned by the Humar family. Since 1930, the mill has been owned by Anton Poberaj from Kromberk. By 1935, the cereals were milled on mill stones. Apart from the mills, there was also a venetian saw, which, unfortunately, has not preserved to this day. Due to its rich water resources, the mill was initially powered by a wooden mill wheel with a diameter of approximately 5 m. Higher above the mill, behind the house was the water capture, a volume of 280 cubic meters. From the catchment, the riverbed was driven on a wooden wheel, which rotated it and thus driven the mill and flowed into the brook.

Anton Poberaj restores the entire mill

The mill was between 1935 and 1938 completely renovated. Mill stones have been replaced by the newer technologically more advanced rolling mills for maize and wheat, produced by Mühlenbau-Anstalt und Machinen Fabrik. The mill had a greater grinding capacity than conventional mill stones.

Oral sources about the first owner

Oral sources mention one of the previous owners of the mill, Mr. Klobasa, who has lost all of his property. The mill was later bought by an entrepreneur Anton Poberaj from Kromberk. The previous miller was Franc Vovk, which was captured during the Second World War. At that time, the work in the mill was taken over by Hrovatin Franc, by the profession of a miller, who conscientiously performed the task of the previous miller. In addition to the mill, there was also a house in which he lived with his family as a mill manager.

In the company Valjčni mlin 7 employees

There were 7 employees in the period when the grinding was highest. Many things have changed over the mill run period. A wooden mill wheel driven by a mill and a saw was replaced by a modern and sufficiently powerful electric motor, the grinding rollers were replaced, and the mill as a machine part was modified. Officially milling stopped in 1990.

The mill can be viewed by pupils of elementary or secondary schools on the topic of cultural heritage and other groups by prior arrangement. We are open on the holiday of polenta, which is celebrated by the locals in the summer.

We offer tours and demonstration of the operation of the mill after prior announcement to phone 040 511 135 or at the email address